Friday, September 7, 2007

Lost Day!

!September 8, 2008

Hello Everyone!
Today is now September 8th. This is important because yesterday was September 6th. That’s right folks, we did not have a September 7th. Crossing the international date line somewhere here in the Pacific Ocean meant that we went from being folks in the past to folks in the future (speaking to those of you in Cali). I have really embraced the system here (A / B days rather than actual date and days) which I believe makes the journey so much more enjoyable and so easier. For example, today, students said I can’t believe we have class today – it’s Saturday! If one just embraces A and B days system, you just know you have particular classes and activities based on the particular letter day.

For those on you who did experience September 7th, how was it? Tell me how that day was, what happened??? There was a woman ho had her 21st birthday on the 7th so we had a happy unbirthday for her since technically, that day did not exist for us.

We had a great time at the faculty staff LLL social at the faculty staff LLL (aka A/Fore) Lounge. The captain and officers were there as well and we had a great time socializing them. It was not rowdy at all and we had a great time and behaved ourselves.
August and I also adopted 5 children…that’s right, we went from 0 – 5 in a few days. Actually, it’s a program we have on the ship were the students get to sign up and then get paired with the faculty, staff, and LLL. We’re having dinner in a couple of days so that should be fun!

Folks are getting excited to go to Japan. The ship is a buzz with trying to figure out how to get on the trains, what hotels they should stay at, and which cities they should go to. Our two Japanese interport students have been wonderful and helpful to the entire shipboard community. I am hopeful that our own SAS students will show the same time of sensitivity and friendliness to the Japanese when we dock at Japan.

4 comments:

Mongah said...

Anna! I don't know if being on the east coast puts me in your future or past, but let me say it's September 9 and I have no idea what happened for me this morning; nonetheless, september 7!

So, I am really interested in semester at sea for the summer 08 voyage, any thoughts?

Graduate school is busy and I'm working on my first social justice reflection paper and took a break to "stalk" my social justice voyager agonzal.

I really enjoy reading the few blogs you have made since your bonvoyage from the motherland! I just hope you don't get lost amongst those japanese ones...you are taller so that shouldn't be a problem. hehe!

TAKE CARE ANNA!
Stephanie (aka P.F. Chang)

Unknown said...

Hi Anna,

Glad to hear things are going so well. Also, good to know it was geography that led to your losing a day and not something more intoxicating. Just keep that breathalyzer with you at all times and you should be okay.

We really miss you around here. AKG is lost! This winter will be such a tease with just two months, but at least it's something.

Keep us up to date, and keep having adventures. Tell everyone I say hello. Take care!

peace,
mike knox

Unknown said...

Anna,

write more often, as I keep checking back to see if there is anything new. I really miss you! I hope you've started your digital photo album, remember you were going to be on top of that!

-adeli

Unknown said...

mike is right AKG is lost without it's founding president. :) Hope you're enjoying your voyage! Miss you! Keep the adventure stories coming. :) Say hi to the UCI crew for me.