Saturday, October 27, 2007

On ship life

October 27, 2007

Whales, Dolphins, and Rainbows

I just want to share that the last few days have been great with regards to the view on the ship. We went under or through 2 rainbows, saw schools of dolphins, and at least 20 or 30 whales. Those scenes and experiences make the voyage so worth everything else we do. As much as folks can’t wait to get off the ship to get to the various ports, these days really make me long for more sea days, traveling on calm seas, looking at the beauty of the ocean, and wishing that we can preserve it all for the future. The moon has also been full the last couple of days and we have seen so many stars as we sail through the Red Sea. I can’t believe that I am back here again – on our way to Egypt….This and Turkey were favorites for me the last time I sailed.

Something funny – we had a fun (no gambling) poker tournament amongst the faculty, LLL, family and staff to figure out who the two reps from our team (the DEADly Sea) will be. I came in second and Nurse Karen came in first so we have an all women team! We hope to not be the first ones out during the tournament…I’m slightly frightened of the competition since the students definitely know how to play the game better than I. My tactic is just to go all in during hands that I play! August by the way is still in the faculty / staff / LLL / family ping pong tournament. He hopes to make it through so he can be on the team as well. This Sea Olympics is something fierce. Because I had to go to a meeting that evening and could not stay for the sign up meetings, I somehow was volunteered to be on the synchronized swim team….scary….I will not be sharing pictures of videos of that one. At least I was not signed up for limbo or the slippery twister….

2 comments:

Just Mary said...

geez, r you sure this is semester at sea (semester is usually associated with education) and not just a very looonngg vacation. reading your blog is making me drool with envy.

mary

Unknown said...

Synchronized Swimming...hahahahahhaaha!!!