Sunday, November 18, 2007

Dubrovnik!



November 18, 2007
This city is incredibly beautiful. The entire time we were here, I kept thinking of the horrors of war they had recently. As much as I appreciated the beauty of this place, I am always reminded of the losses that result from nationalism and ethnic genocide. I think that Rick Steves said it best when he wrote that no one is innocent in the war. I also could not help but think of the history of colonialism and that this must be an exciting time for Croatians as they now have the ability to chart their own course and rule for themselves. We were freezing though and there was quite a bit of rain the first couple of days. But we braved the cold and on the second day, walked all over the city and climbed the famed city walls.

No comments: